Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hello Everyone;
This is my first try at starting a blog.  PLEASE READ THIS if you use a topical hormone replacement (cream, gel, spray, etc.) and have pets or children. Even if you don't have pets or children, pass the information you learn here to someone who does.
I began using a hormone replacement therapy called Evamist for menopause symptoms three years ago. It is applied as a spray to the forearm…and seems to dry quickly. I loved it and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. BUT, little did I know, it can be transferred from one’s arm to one’s dogs, cats, and grandchildren even after it appears to be absorbed by the skin!!!  I do not have grandchildren yet (thank goodness).....I just have 2 dogs.....who are now NEARLY BALD!   They have just been diagnosed with “Hormone Induced Alopecia”… caused by MY MENOPAUSE MEDICATION according to the dog dermatologists!  "Haley" (spayed female) has been exposed for 3 years.  "Prince" (neutered male) for 2 years.  Beyond the hair loss, Haley's vulva swelled and she may have smelled like she was in heat to un-neutered males.  We are not sure if there is any permanent damage to the dogs yet.  I stopped using the product two weeks ago.  I have switched to a very small Estradiol patch that is applied under my clothing. We THINK we can see some new hair growth on our dogs.....but we're not sure yet.  I will keep you posted!  Anyone out there have similar stories?

2 comments:

  1. So.......I talked with a woman yesterday who was using another brand of HRT (an Estradiol + Progesterone cream applied to her forearms). Her dog’s exposure began at 8 weeks of age and continued for between 1 and 1.5 years before a diagnosis was made. Although her dog’s hair has completely grown back since she stopped using the product, he has endured multiple surgeries including removal of most of his horribly swollen prostate, removal of his penis, and creation of a new route to expel his urine. He is now incontinent and in diapers. He’s only 3 years old. And this woman has now spent around $20,000. It’s heartbreaking.
    She also had a female dog that died of cancer before the specialty vet figured all of this out. The female dog had an extremely swollen vulva that the regular vet had never seen before.
    These are only two of the other cases that my specialty vet has encountered in the last year or so. I believe there are at least 5 more that he alone has seen. Makes me wonder how many others are out there being misdiagnosed....I think it could be MANY since topical hormone treatments are pretty widely used by women (and men) these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: It's now been 3 months since my dogs' last exposure to my hormone replacement. Prince's fur in growing back wonderfully.....though not yet back to how it was when we got him. His skin is now very dry and he always looks like he has dandruff. I don't know of any prostate issues, but I'll have that checked at the next vet visit. Haley's fur is growing back some.....not nearly as much as Prince's. I suspect this is due to her other health problems that are not related to this issue. Her vulva is not swollen at all anymore....for the first time in 3+ years! When I can figure out how (!) I'll post some "before" and "after" pictures of my dogs.

    Please remember to let other people know about this....I'm sure there are others out there using topical hormone replacement and have contact with pets and small children!

    ReplyDelete